Catch my nose - if you can

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter 2007 - A trip back to the roots

Hope you had a happy Easter time!

Since I completely missed Easter last year because of different calendars, this year it was a real family event. Well, within the range of "family" that is possible ;-)

You might have heard of the famous Harz region - famous cause I might have told you that I from that tiny part of Germany :-) My mom and I met there on Good Friday and spent the weekend hiking and discover familiar and unfamiliar places.

We were staying in Wernigerode, a stunning town in the north of the Harz.

The typical timbered houses in my home region. This is a particular small one :-) Don't worry, people aren't super small in the Harz - though I might have caused that impression...

Read more!

On Saturday we hiked up to the Brocken - the highest mountain in the north of Germany. It's only 1142 m high, but it surely is hard work to get up there. I still have sore muscles (I'm ignoring the fact that my 65-year-old mother has no sore muscles at all...)




On Sunday we went to Quedlinburg, also a nice town on the north of the Eastern part of the Harz.
I was born there, went there a million of times - every time we had visitors we would go there - and I learned driving there.

Since this is my very home region, I expected to run into familiar people. But I only ran into a friend from school who actually lives in Sweden now :-)
Argh, those tourists!

And then we went to Neudorf - the small village where I grew up. We visited waterfalls - I really climb over it once (must have had less water!!!) and we tiptoed around our old house and admired the changes. So, now you know why I'm so difficult :-) I had an entire floor to myself and absolute silence and darkness at night. That's why I have trouble sleeping now :-(

And of course, we visited our ex-cat Nicki. She stayed with neighbors when my parents moved away. She was really angry at us the weeks after we had left and would turn her back to us. But now she's a happy cat and recognized us :-) Well, she is a really spoiled and bitchy cat! Still love her!!!

Hope you are having a good time!
What's next? Going to Spain on Thursday :-)

2 Comments:

  • Just catching up on a few blogs and noticing we just missed each other again. I was in Wernigerode at Easter weekend (just driving thru) and hiking in the Harz mountains as well. As for a few weeks later: see kaputtendorf.de ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:50 AM  

  • Oh Kevin, you just take stunning pictures!!! :-)
    Will beg you for the rest next time I'm in Göttingen! ;-)

    By Blogger Anna, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home