Catch my nose - if you can

Monday, May 16, 2005

Back in Russia - Greetings from Saint Petersburg

This is my first day at work and since everbody is super busy, they left me alone with the internet :-)))
My colleagues are really nice and just presented their best German to me, "eins, zwei, Polizei... drei, vier...." I have also been asked if I smoke, just like every day in Akademgorodok!

So, I made it all right to St. Petersburg on Saturday. It took forever to get through immigration... I was the last one passing for I switched the lines at least 4 times and every time it turned out to be the slowliest one... But three nice Russians had been patiently waiting for me and helped to carry "la bomba" - as I call my heavy luggage - to my appartment. I am currently living with a Russian ex-AIESECer called Eugene in a really nice flat. The problem is that I have to take "marschrutka", then the metro and then another "marschrutka"/20 minute walk to work, which takes about 1,5 h. Therefore, I will have a look at another appartment in the center where I would live alone - very tempting thought! But my current appartment has a washing machine... tough decision!

Saturday after leaving my luggage in my new room, two Russian guys accompanied me on my first trip through St. Petersburg or "Piter" to meet Mel, this cool American girl I met in Akademgorodok. Mel and I exchanged the latest gossip;-) and the two Russians took it with dignity;-)
After this little chat Victor (the AIESECer), Shenya (a co-worker from Akadem, and actually spelled "Zhenya" as he kindly pointed out to me) and me went to have dinner in a neat bar. St. Petersburg is quite European and it feels like home - besides the Russian letters everywhere.

Yesterday I got a 6,5h sightseeing tour by foot with a cool Russian "alumni" (AIESEC) called Nadia. Then we went to some AIESEC meeting where I had been supposed to present myself, but ended up waiting until the meeting was over, because they didn't finish in time. Does that sound familiar, Robbie and Ania??? Same old story ;-)
I got a ride home though, which was really cool! All the AIESECers are extremely nice, but I will also have to find some foreigners...
I am surprised how good my Russian is :-) I understand most of the things and am actually capable of forming sentences! I still prefer English, but it is getting better! This time I will master the language!!! Yay!

All right, this is enough for now. I forgot the cable at home, so I can't upload pics. But: the city is BEAUTIFUL!!! And I do miss Goettingen a little bit ;-)

3 Comments:

  • Dear Anna.
    I wish you a very nice Aufenthalt in russia.
    baldypaul

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 PM  

  • Anaaaaaaaaaa:) I I I I I.... no words... Have fun! ...I miss Russia! :( I miss You :( Hugs!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 PM  

  • Nastravije! (oder what's the correct spelling of this?) What a bummer that I have neither time nor money to visit you in Petersburg :(
    I'm plain jealous sitting here and writing my Magister... anyway, wish you some cool time!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home