Catch my nose - if you can

Monday, November 07, 2005

The long November weekend

Uih! This was a long and desperately needed weekend with lots of social activities! I met loads of new people, all of them from different countries and all of them unique and funny!

Igor, the Serbian guy who grew up in Germany took me out for a drink on Thursday and we met up with Roman, a Russian guy who speaks fluent German. Later the "castle people" joined: Sam from Kenya, Mari Sophie from Norway (the "Norwegian prototype" as she says herself), Masha from Ukraine and Armen from Armenia. AIESEC rented them a "castle" as they call it, because the fridge doesn't work (they use the window sill), their toilet didn't work for the first 2 days, the kitchen stinks of cat piss and the sink does not work. There are several other horrifying facts about that flat, but they have a good laugh about it...
I met them all again on Friday evening and also Shekar from India and Jinau from China who lives in Germany. They are all from the other AIESEC Commitee in town, from ENJEC... I was trespassing ;-)
Read more!
I bought a new winter jacket on Saturday, some "altrosa"/pink thingy... which seems to match the local houses ;-) Laura and I went to Shlisselburg on Saturday, which certainly a highlight... especially if we compare the trip with Sonya's and Rosa's trip to Moscow:
We had rain and they had a perfect blue sky. We were walking around in the mud and got dirty and they walked around on solid streets.
We had fun anyway... just taking the train and the feeling of going away for a day was great! We found a very nice, cheap local cafe where we stuffed ourselves with delicious Russian food and were in such a good mood afterwards that we decided to take the later train back to the city :-)

Peter fortress


Stuck in the mud


Anna in her new jacket (note the matching colors of the houses)


Laura (also note the matching colors of the local houses)

Saturdaynight I didn't sleep, but walked into my hotel room at 8.30 in the morning. AIESEC ENJEC had organized a Global Village party in Igor's apartment... Global village means that everybody has to bring a typical dish or drink from his/her country. It was delicious! Almost all the "nations" cooked something, only the Germans and the Irish showed up with a vast amount of beer :-)
Global Village

Laura and Anna having fun :-)

Last people standing... 7 am: Christina, Armen, Luise, Sam and Anna in Igor's kitchen

Yesterday I finally started watching "The Pianist", which I had bought a week ago. Has anyone seen it? It is one of those movies which I consider excellent, but will never watch again! The images are haunting me...

The rest of the weekend was great and my dear co-workers keep asking me, why I look so happy today... Have a great week!!!

2 Comments:

  • What's THE typical german meal? Currywurst? Eisbein with Bratkartoffeln? I think Döner would be the best choice.

    Paul

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 PM  

  • Döner is definitely what I miss most!!! But most typical? I'd say BEER!!! :-) or maybe Schnaps is acceptable?

    By Blogger Anna, at 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home